My Blog List

Tuesday, March 9, 2010

I am a cyborg!

When it comes to being cyborg the first person that comes to mind is Robocop. It says it all in his name. He is part robot that is dependent on mechanics and electronics to help him get through daily trouble. I would never compare myself to him because I don’t have guns, a suit of protected armor or computerized brain. But I do use machines and electronics to get me through my everyday trials and tribulations. So the question raises in my mind am I really a cyborg?

One day I was on my way to work, I was already running late and I left my house nearly running to the train station, only to realize I didn’t have my metro card. “GREAT” I said to myself. There was nothing that I could do but go back home to get my metro card, so I could get on the train. Or there was that time I left my phone home and I felt absolutely lost and not like myself, I kept reaching into my pocket because of the infamous “phantom vibration” only to realize my blackberry was not there. Becoming a cyborg has been a gradual process that has changed from a luxury to a bear necessity in my life. In order to function in today’s society the dependency of mechanics, electronics and all that techy stuff is what I have succumb to(sadly). But really, it is not my fault. Everywhere you look, there’s a machine, an automated service or some kind of “not so luxurious” need, rather than a desire. Train stations, no longer deal with tokens, it’s the power of that magnetic strip that gets you from place to place. Or even something as simple as applying to a job has turned into an ocean of websites that I have to surf through just to find that application. Me becoming the cyborg I am is basically what good ole Charles Darwin was explaining. You must evolve and adapt to your surroundings in order to survive. I am technologically savvy because the world is becoming that way. So yes I am a cyborg, I depend on these tools: my cell phone, laptop, metro cards, etc. to get to my means, and accomplishments for today. So maybe Robocop and myself really do have something in common huh?

No comments:

Post a Comment